This week Chris and I graduated from Dave Ramsey’s Finanical Peace University.
From Dave’s website…
More than 1.5 million families have attended Financial Peace University with amazing results. On average, these families paid off $5,300 in debt and saved $2,700 in just the first 90 days! Stop worrying about money, and start your journey to Financial Peace today.
A little history on the subject…
I started working for a group of radio stations almost 5 years ago. One of the stations is a News/Talk station which Dave Ramsey is on in the evenings. After learning about his show and listening I found it to be very interesting. Some of my co-workers even started taking his FPU and I saw them living on a budget and quickly paying off debt. I wanted to do the same.
While planning our wedding last year I found a class that was going to be starting at our church in January. I told Chris I wanted to do it, he agreed, and we signed up. Here is my review of the class.
1. Taking the class really helped us to budget and track money. I now feel like we have more money because I write everything down! Dave says its important to balance your check book and going online to check your balance is not balancing it!
2. I feel like that class really helped me and Chris to feel more like a team. We talk more about money and where its going. We also have a common goal in mind.
3. Dave’s Baby Steps are easy to follow.
4. It taught me that I need to have patience. Growing wealth takes time.
5. I understand insurance, Mutual Funds, and mortgages better. I actually want to learn more about Mutual Funds!
1. Our teacher condensed our class into 8 weeks instead of the 13 weeks. This left no time for class discussion and made for really long days.
2. Lack of class discussion, due to above. One of my co-workers said her favorite part was talking to other people in their class.
There was a ton more I learned, but I don’t want to give it all away here. If you have even considered taking this class I highly suggest it!
I am happy to report that me and Chris are well into Baby Step 2 (Debt Snowball, we will pay off our 2nd credit card later this month) and we even have more than the recommended amount in our Emergency Fund (moving towards Baby Step 3, 3-6 months living expenses in savings).
Have you heard of Dave Ramsey?
Do you follow a strict monthly budget?
Feel free to ask me questions!